St. Paul, MN (KROC-AM News) – DWI arrests are up more than 10% on additional summer patrols compared to last summer in Minnesota.
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said during the August 19-September 5 Labor Day DWI campaign, officers, deputies and soldiers arrested 1,265 drivers for impaired driving, compared to 1,145 arrests for CFA during the same period in 2021.
A total of 292 law enforcement agencies across Minnesota participated in the DWI campaign, which included additional patrols, outreach and education.
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Office of Traffic Safety is coordinating the campaign with funding provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
DUI arrests in Minnesota during additional driving patrols
- The Chisago County Sheriff’s Office arrested a driver for impaired driving after the driver rolled his car with a 2-year-old child inside. The child was not injured.
- New Brighton Police arrested a driver for impaired driving after he overtook an unmarked team at 100mph.
- The Renville County Sheriff’s Office arrested a motorcyclist for 0.23 blood alcohol content. Deputies say the motorcyclist continued to overturn the motorbike and drive into the wrong traffic lane.
- Eden Prairie police have arrested a driver for impaired driving after an accident involving THC gummies.
- Annandale Police found a driver passed out in a moving vehicle in the middle of a parking lot. Officers believe the driver passed out while exiting the parking space.
- Big Lake police arrested a driver for impaired driving after the person crashed into a house.
- Lake Park police arrested a driver for impaired driving after he stopped at flashing yellow lights, not a red light. The driver was nearly hit from behind.
Highest BAC arrest in Minnesota during Extra Summer Patrols
- Mankato Public Security Police Department (0.36)
- Winona Police Department (.357)
- Ramsey Police Department (0.35)
- Goodhue County Sheriff’s Office (0.34)
- Plymouth Police Department (0.33)
DWI arrested by agency in Minnesota during additional summer patrols
In the Twin Cities metro area, agencies with the most DWI arrests during the campaign included:
- Minnesota State Patrol – District 2500 (Golden Valley): 89
- Minnesota State Patrol – District 2400 (Oakdale): 47
- St. Paul Police Station: 42
- Richfield Police Department: 19
- Inver Grove Heights Police Department: 16
In greater Minnesota, the agencies with the most arrests included:
- Hubbard County Sheriff’s Office: 35
- Minnesota State Patrol – District 2100 (Rochester): 27
- Red Lake Tribal Police: 24
- Saint-Cloud Police Department: 23
- Wright County Sheriff’s Office: 22
DWI History and Statistics in Minnesota
- Law enforcement agencies statewide have arrested 18,251 drivers for DWI so far in 2022, up from 17,176 this time last year (as of Sept. 12).
- More than one in five (23%) fatalities on Minnesota roads is related to drinking and driving.
- Alcohol-related crashes cause an average of 344 life-changing injuries each year (2017-2021).