— Recommendations are independently chosen by the editors of Reviewed. Purchases you make through our links may earn us a commission.
Netflix launched its streaming program in 2007, at the time a mail-only DVD service. Since then, streaming has taken the world by storm and established itself as a mainstream service, with 78% of US households have some sort of streaming service. The rise of streaming, like the rise of DVD before it, was largely due to its convenience. Unlike physical rental storefronts like Blockbuster, users have access to countless videos without leaving the comfort of their own home. It’s also less expensive than previous services, as consumers don’t have to pay for individual movies or an entire cable package, but rather a bundle of entertainment at a fraction of the price.
There’s a lot more where that came from. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get all our reviews, expert advice, offers and more.
However, streaming is getting more and more expensive. With the number of competing platforms in the market, many people subscribe to multiple streaming services to get access to all their favorite shows on different networks. Indeed, the number of households with four or more streaming services dubbed from 2020 to 2021. In addition, the streaming services themselves are becoming more and more expensive – Hulu, Disney Plus and ESPN+ will each see price increases In the coming months.
With inflation on the rise, it’s understandable to think that streaming might be one of the things you give up. Fortunately, there is still hope and there are cheaper ways to enjoy online entertainment. We’ll tell you all the ways to save money on streaming services.
►Disney+ Day is tomorrow: What to know and what’s streaming
gand an antenna to access dozens of free channels
Did you know that there are dozens of free channels just waiting to be watched on your TV? Channels such as NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS and the CW are available to watch with an antenna. You will be able to watch a variety of programs with one single payment for the cost of the antenna itself.
The best hdtv antenna we tested is the ClearStream Eclipse TV Antenna. With a range of 35 miles, ClearStream delivers many different channels with crystal clear picture quality. It comes with a wall bracket that attaches without the need for screws or pins. Beyond being practical, this antenna is beautiful. Its sleek halo-like design gives it a cool, futuristic look – it’s definitely an upgrade from the old bunny ear design that was ubiquitous with antennas. Plus, it has a black side and a white side so it’s guaranteed to match the style of your home no matter the color tones.
Use a free streaming service
If you prefer to stream entertainment using an antenna, there are still ways to save money. In fact, there are streaming services that you can enjoy without paying a single penny.
- tube is one of the most popular streaming services, which is a testament to the quality and quantity of its offerings. It also gives you the option to tune in to live programming.
- Amazon Freevee, formerly known as IMDb TV and IMDb Freedive, is the free alternative to Amazon Prime Video. Freevee stands out for its high-quality original shows and movies. You can also watch high-profile movies like “The Invisible Man” and “F9” using the service.
- Pluto TV serves as Paramount’s free alternative to their Paramount+. Pluto TV is unique in that it offers hundreds of cable-like channels where you can watch various movies and shows completely free of charge.
- sony Crackle rotates its offerings often, so you should periodically check the site to see if it has something you like.
- If you are an anime fan, RetroCrush is a streaming service that should be on your radar. It offers over 200 retro-style anime, both subtitled and dubbed, as well as live-action Japanese movies. Many RetroCrush titles cannot be found on Crunchyroll or other popular anime streaming services.
- If you have a library card, you will probably have access to Houplawhich is a library partner app that lets you stream countless audiobooks, movies, shows, and albums.
Get a free trial
If there’s a show or movie you want to watch on a paid streaming service, you might want to use a free trial (especially if you want to binge on a single show quickly). Not all major streaming services offer free trials, but many do. Also, free trials tend to be generous with the time they give you. Popular services that offer free trials include Hulu, Show time and First video, which each offer 30-day free trials. YouTube TV offers a 14-day free trial and Paramount+ offers a 7 day trial.
If you don’t plan to subscribe to a streaming platform after your trial ends, be sure to set a reminder to cancel your subscription before the trial period ends or you will be charged for a subscription.
Choose a lower level streaming service
Many streaming services allow you to purchase a specific tier, with more expensive tiers having premium features like HD or ad-free streaming. If you’re ready to deal with ads, consider purchasing the lowest tier of a service. This way, you can still take advantage of the great programs it offers while saving a little money.
For $6.99 you can watch Hulu with commercial breaks versus $12.99 for Hulu without commercials. In addition to a free tier with fewer movies and shows, Peacock offers an ad tier for $4.99 and an ad-free tier for $9.99. In the coming months, both Disney+ and netflix will launch an ad-supported base tier that is expected to be cheaper than its current low tiers.
Take advantage of streaming plans
Streaming services offer many packages and offers which can help you save money while giving you access to additional subscriptions.
For $13.99 per month, you can purchase a set of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, which gives you access to countless shows and movies for far less than you would pay for each service individually. Some phone providers, such as Verizon, offer free streaming plans with the purchase of certain plans. To know, Verizon users can get a free bundle of Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Verizon is also offering up to 6 months of discovery+ with certain plans.
A Amazon Prime Membership gives you access to Amazon Prime Video, making one of the most convenient shopping platforms even more appealing. If you have a Walmart+ Subscriptionyou will soon have access to a Paramount+ Subscription.
Finally, if you have an internet service provider such as Xfinity, many channels will allow you to stream their shows for free if you log in with your internet service provider’s information.
Current streaming deals right now
There are several ways to save money on some of the biggest streaming platforms thanks to the price reductions offered through registration.
- Disney+ offers 15% off when you pay annually instead of monthly. More, get a month of Disney+ for $1.99 for Disney+ Day.
- Hulu offers 16% savings when you pay an annual subscription. Additionally, you can obtain $60 Off Hulu + Live TV at present.
- HBO Max offers 40% off annual purchases through October 30. For the ad-free tier, you’ll get savings of $75.
- YouTube Television reduces your first three months of service by $30 after completing a free trial.
- TV Sling offers various promotions such as a 50% off college football package, as well as a Premium Pass that includes Showtime and Starz.
- AppleTV offers 3 months free with the purchase of an eligible Apple device.
Get deals and shopping tips straight to your phone. Subscribe to SMS alerts experts from Reviewed.
Prices were accurate at the time this article was published, but may change over time.