- Yes, Netflix will still send you DVDs if you pay separately for a DVD subscription.
- Netflix offers two different DVD packages that you can add to your account: Standard, which lets you rent one disc at a time, and Premier, which lets you rent two.
- Netflix’s standard DVD plan is $7.99 per month and the Premier plan is $11.99 per month.
- Both plans come with a one-month free trial, and you can also add Blu-rays for a few extra bucks each month.
- This story is part of Business Insider’s Guide to Netflix Tips and Tricks.
When Netflix first launched in the late 1990s, it exclusively shipped DVDs to homes in the United States. Within a decade, it expanded into online streaming, and it’s now one of the biggest streaming services in the world.
However, you can still rent DVDs (and Blu-rays) using Netflix. The only problem is that it’s a separate subscription and will cost you extra on top of your pre-existing Netflix streaming plan, if you have one.
To order a DVD from Netflix, you will need to subscribe to a DVD plan. After one month free trial, each DVD package has its own cost:
- Renting one DVD at a time will cost $7.99 per month, or $9.99 if you add Blu-rays.
- Renting two DVDs at once will cost $11.99 per month, or $14.99 if you add Blu-rays.
Not all movies and shows on Netflix are available in DVD format, let alone available in Blu-ray format. However, some shows and movies are available exclusively through the DVD package.
Signing up for a DVD package on Netflix is easy and can be done in just a few steps.
Here’s how to subscribe to a Netflix DVD package using any internet browser on your Mac and PC.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to start a DVD streaming plan on Netflix
You can start a DVD plan without a Netflix streaming plan by going to dvd.netflix.com and subscribe to one of the two available plans.
If you have a Netflix streaming plan, you can add a DVD streaming plan by doing the following:
1. On your Mac or PC, launch your favorite browser and navigate to http://www.netflix.com. Make sure you are logged in and open any profile.
2. Click your profile icon in the top right, then select “Account” from the drop-down menu.
3. On the page that appears, scroll down to the “Plan Details” heading. Select “Add DVD Package”.
4. To start a free trial of Netflix’s DVD service, select the package you’re interested in, Standard or Premier, then select “Get Started” at the bottom. If you’re interested, be sure to check the box next to “Yes, I want to include the Blu-ray”.
After your free trial ends, the payment method you use to pay for Netflix will start charging for the DVD package.
Once you order a DVD, it usually arrives in one to three days. You can keep the disc (or discs) for as long as you want, with no late fees. Once you return the disc, the next DVD in your queue will be shipped to you.